Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Blog #7

Randy Pausch Last Lecture



         WOW! I just want to start by saying I truly have an idol in my life now. Dr. Randy Pausch is probably the most amazing man I will ever know, besides my father of course. He has such a love and passion for people and teaching that it is just so overwhelming listening to his lecture. I really wish I would of had the chance to meet this man before his passing. Ok let me step down from idolizing Randy and talk about what legacy he has left.
         In this video Randy talked about achieving your childhood dreams and making them come a reality in some shape or form. After achieving all of his childhood dreams he decided he wanted to help others do the same. I love this approach because it shows you the passion he has for helping others. This is a great example to take into my own classroom. Helping students come up with things they want to achieve in life and help them get onto the right track to do so. In this video some of the major points Randy made included taking the time to dream, the importance of good parents in a child's life, and how to put people before materials. These were just a few approaches to the lecture that Randy made and they couldn't be more inspiring. I will definitely use these points to full advantage in my classroom.
         One major theme Randy talked about was the "head fake". He mentioned it a few times in the lecture in a literal way and in an even more important way. The first was the usual football term of head fake where a football player would move his head in a certain direction to make everyone think he was going that way but then go in another direction. The second type is the important head fake, it was a tool he used as an educator where students learned but didn't realize they were learning until well into the learning process. I absolutely love this approach and could see myself incorporating this into my teaching skill set. This is such a great way to get the students excited about learning and incorporate fun into the curriculum so that they don't even know their actually learning until they have already engaged in it. This seems to be a good way for students to really learn, instead of just going through the motions of reading out of the book because students are apt to remember the lessons that they had fun while doing.
           There is just so much to say about Dr. Pausch and all of his achievements. I could go on for days about him. After watching this lecture, I was so moved by his passion that I did a little research of my own about who Randy Pausch was and all he contributed to the world of education. I was so intrigued. The way he goes about teaching and the processes he puts into his work is one of a million. He has so much passion and energy for helping others that I just hope I am at least half the educator that Randy Pausch was. He has left such an extraordinary legacy.

2 comments:

  1. I feel much like you do after watching this video. Dr. Pausch was definitely an amazing speaker, educator, and human being. I also feel like I have someone to model my teaching career after. The idea of the "head fakes" that he talked about was very interesting to me, as well. I loved that he was able to use that reference for his teaching methods, especially when telling about his childhood football days. I think this post is great, but I did notice just a few minor grammatical errors. It's very easy for anybody (including myself) to make small mistakes, such as using words like "their" instead of "they're", not using commas when needed, etc. One thing someone suggested to me was to get someone to proofread my posts before I publish them. This is helpful for me. Even though you did not have very many grammatical errors, I would suggest doing the same thing, just to be safe and catch the little mistakes. Other than that, you seem to be a great writer. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reason we include this video is to inspire you to bust through those brick walls, to raise the bars, to execute effective head fakes and much more. I hope you will do these things when you are a teacher.

    Keep on learning!

    ReplyDelete