Friday, February 1, 2013

Blog Post 3

Peer Editing
         After viewing the videos, slideshow, and Paige's blog post. I am more enlightened on how to write a proper peer review. Although the videos were funny and made by students they really helped me understand the basics of peer editing. I loved the second video Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes. Not only was the video hilarious it had some great points on the types of students there are when peer reviewing.

         When reviewing and posting a comment on my classmates blog I found no grammatical errors nor punctuation errors, instead found great and intellectual thoughts. So instead I commented on her over all post and clarity of it and gave her great compliments. Although, if put in the situation of having to in lack of better words "call out" another student on grammatical or punctuation errors I would politely post it as a comment. Not only will this help the student but also the other students who see the comment. I for one have always been shy when it comes to asking for help especially when writing. I always feel like some of the questions I have are things I should have learned back in grade school. So posting a comment is a great way for students like me to see the educational criticism on someone else's posts and take it in for themselves.


Assistive Technologies
         After watching the video The Mountbatten I am amazed by this technology. I would absolutely love to have this machine in my classroom one day. I do not know how to read brail but would love to learn. This machine would be excellent to have in a classroom so that all students, hearing and seeing impaired as well could have a chance to learn equally. If I had this machine in my classroom I would want myself and also my students to learn how to use it so if at anytime an impaired student needed help any other student would be able to help them. It would also give the students an opportunity to interact with the impaired students. I feel like this doesn't happen as often as it should in classrooms today. The hearing and seeing impaired are usually isolated into a classroom of their own.

          I am highly fascinated with the technology and machine used for the hearing and seeing impaired. The device used for teaching math in the first video was extraordinary. The usage of brail on the touch sensitive machine to layout blocks for a tactile mathematic approach of a problem was amazing.

          I am also intrigued by the iPad use for the blind. The iBooks feature is a great app for the hearing impaired to read and purchase books. Although I do have many questions about this specific iPad. Is this a specific (for the blind) iPad that you have to buy? Or is there some sort of app you buy for your regular iPad? These were a couple questions that I was opposed with after watching this video.

Vicki Davis
           After watching Vicki Davis' video Harness Your Students Digital Smarts I was surprised with the different ideas and project she has her students doing. The Flat Classroom website that she another colleague designed is very interesting. Having her students communicate and work on projects with other students around the world is amazing. I'm sure for a student that has to be more interesting and exciting then taking notes and listening to a lecture. Vicki Davis is the definition for collaborating technology into the classroom.

           As a teacher, I would hope to be able to bring this much technology into my own classroom without the students becoming dependent on it. Technology can be a great source of learning and also a great integration into the educational social media world that we have today.

1 comment:

  1. "These were a couple questions that I was opposed with after watching this video." Do you mean posed rather than opposed?

    Every iPad, iPhone or Mac comes fully equipped with the assistive technologies. Go to Settings/General/Accessibility. Choose what you want the iPhone, iPad or Mac to do.

    "...ideas and project she...projects, not project

    Thoughtful. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete