Sunday, March 31, 2013

Blog Post 10


                  Ok, so after visiting Mr. Spencer's blog and reading some of the comments left by other people about this sketch I found that it is a "spoof" of the "Im a PC, Im a Mac" commercials. Although I understand it is some type of humor dealing with pencil brands, I am still not laughing. I just don't understand it though. I am guessing it would probably be pretty funny though. 


              I absolutely love Mr. Spencer's writing style for his blog posts. He seems like such a passionate teacher. As I was browsing around and reading some of his other posts I was intrigued by his post 10 Points On Pencils. It was actually quit amusing the way he wrote it but still made a very clear point. Mr. Spencer wrote a list of the things the superintendent did not like about his classroom and sent it to him. They list included the uses of pencils and the effects they have on the students. I liked this post because it grasped the students potential with the use of a pencil. I also liked how he explained that most of the problems that people see with students are much greater than the pencil itself. 


                 I found this post by Dr. Scott McLeod interesting, amusing, and sarcastic. I agreed with some of his points and then highly disagreed with others. When Dr. McLeod was explaining to not teach your kids how to use technology because he is teaching his kids how to use to have a leg up in society, I mean I know he was just trying to get the point across to say that we need to be teaching our kids everything about technology. I do agree that they need to know a certain amount about it because if used the right way it can be extremely valuable but I do not agree with having it take over the classroom. I know I will get scolded for this statement as I have in the past but I will stick by my opinions until I am actually in a classroom teaching and see that computers, cell phones, iPads, iPods, and all the other technology is helping. Yes, I do think it will help teach our students to a certain extent. But there is a such thing as too much of a good thing, right? Interesting post by Dr. McLeod to say the least. I did not find out much about Dr. McLeod even after viewing his other blogs except that he teaches at the University of Kentucky and is the founding director of CASTLE. 




1 comment:

  1. The first part of the assignment was to explain the cartoon. Papermate is a metaphor for a PV. Ticonderoga is a metaphor for a Mac. The cartoon characters resemble the stars of the long series (66 over 4 years) of Apple ads starring John Hodgman as PC and Justin Long as Mac.

    You missed the metaphor in the cartoon.

    You missed the message Mr. Spencer was sending via the cartoon.

    You missed the message of Mr. Spencer's post in which the principal wants him to practice "drill and memorize" activities instead of projects or other learning approaches. All to pass the tests.

    You correctly identified Dr. McLeod's satire and his message: you can try to keep your kids away from technology which is fine with me. Mine will use it and speed past your kids in skills, abilities and rewards.

    "...I do not agree with having it take over the classroom. I know I will get scolded for this statement as I have in the past but I will stick by my opinions until I am actually in a classroom teaching and see that computers, cell phones, iPads, iPods, and all the other technology is helping." Two comments: I am not sure what you mean by "take over the classroom." I do not think anyone has advocated that ONLY technology tools be used in a classroom. But I remain puzzled why you continue to contend that you have seen no evidence that "computers, cell phones, iPads, iPods, and all the other technology" are helping students. Especially when you say in the next sentence: "Yes, I do think it will help teach our students to a certain extent." What do you fear about the use of technologies as tools for learning? It is only technology that you fear? Who has advocated that? I certainly haven't!


    ReplyDelete